When you acquire knowledge it is important to put it into practice. If a picture is worth a thousand words, actually seeing something done is worth a million words! How many times have you thought, "If I could just see how she does that?" In an online painting class you get the line drawing, a palette list and a nice reference photo, etc. but there is so very much more! You get to see how all the little things make a big difference, and seeing the teacher at work makes all the difference for a student! From explanations and close observation you can gain a wealth of information in every single class and from every teacher! Here are just a few of the things to watch for and pay close attention to:
- The sequence of painting steps.
- How various backgrounds are created.
- Notice the details of how the teacher is mixing color and how much color is on the brush.
- How the paint brush is held, the angle, etc. and how the paint is applied.
- How quickly or slowly various areas are developed.
- How color intensity is controlled.
- How value is used and form is developed in each area or element of the painting.
Watch all the video presentations first without ever picking up your brush and really pay close attention to all of those things. It will help to make your painting experience more enjoyable and you will feel excited and ready to move forward!
Never be afraid to try something new . . . that is how we learn. We improve and develop skill through doing things and getting lots of practice under our belt! And even if you are a seasoned painter it is important to keep your skills sharp! With that in mind, how about we all paint something new for someone we love this month?
Cheers to all of you all from all of us here at Art Apprentice Online!