For Beginners and Beyond
Tier One Class #6 - Understanding the Properties of Artist's Pigments - Opacity and Transparency: I painting (Greek Red Figure Vase)
- Study the degree of transparencies relative to background colors and values.
- While painting a Greek vase, students will explore the artistic reasons for using opacity and transparency based on this method of painting.
- Red Figure paintings on vases were also very popular in archaic times. Red figure vases also places the emphasis on pictorial subjects. The painted decorations that we see are described as silhouettes painted on a red orange (clay) background. Artists depicted scenes from mythology and from everyday life as stories that are painted on clay vases. In this course, discover how opaque and transparent pigments create these beautiful art works. The choice of subject for this class lends an historical element while teaching sound principles and techniques for learning to paint. Purchase Here
Opacity, Transparency and Translucency of Color
- Explain the differences between opacity, semi-transparency, transparency, translucent
- Understand light and pigment
- Using several pigments – study the degree of transparencies relative to backgrounds.
- Artistic reasons for using opacity and transparency based on method of painting.